Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hairless, Helpless, but NOT HOPELESS

Okay, I know this title means nothing to many of you but if you will read this post I hope it is something that you think about.  I know it has been forever since I posted.  Just busy with life, holidays and of course the cutest grandson in the world Hartmann James.   Don't know that I will post a lot on this blog but when I do it will be something that I care about, something that concerns me, or something that I really feel led to say.  I can promise you one thing, my posts will never be political.  Don't get me wrong!  I have very strong feelings concerning politics but I feel it is not my place to push my views on politics on anyone.  Anything other than politics is fair game!!  For those of you that know me, you know I speak my mind!

So you are probably asking what is on my mind tonight?

Well, it is something and someone (actually two someones).  One someone that I consider my friend and another someone that I have never met but understand some of what she is going through.  That doesn't tell you much does it?  If you really know me you have figured out what the something is by now.....Cancer

Medical Definition:

Any one of a large number of diseases characterized by the development of abnormal cells that divide uncontrollably and have the ability to infiltrate and destroy normal body tissue. Cancer also has the ability to spread throughout your body.

Pretty Cold and Impersonal......

Well, CANCER is cold but becomes very personal!

My definition and most likely any cancer patients definition or survivor's definition is any/all of the following and the thoughts you have are many.  Many more than I'm listing below.  But here are a few...... 

CANCER........
What changed my life forever!  
That blob on the sonogram that turned my life and my family's life upside down.

What me?  There is no cancer in my family! I don't feel sick!   Are you sure?  I never felt the lump you say is 2cm the size of an almond in my breast.

What biopsy? Then surgery? 27 staples in my chest? I'm going to be bald?
A year of Chemo and radiation, 5yrs. of oral meds that make me feel like I'm 70 years old and I will always be screened closely for cancer.

I've heard Chemo called "rat poison". 
Chemo makes you sick and Radiation makes you "crispy"!


Cancer KILLS people..............Cancer could KILL ME!!!

Hope that wasn't to graphic for you.  The truth is not always easy.

So now that you know what is own my mind NOW let me tell you who is on my mind.
THEY are the reason I'm posting on my blog tonight.

No names, once again if you know me you know these ladies.  I've mentioned their names many times asking for prayer for them. If you don't know them, that is okay too.  They need your prayers too!

Both are beautiful ladies.  One at the tender age of 16 the other in her thirties.
You see CANCER came into their lives in 2010, both unexpectedly. I don't think
anyone every expects CANCER. CANCER has no favorites. You can be young or old,
female or male, blond or brunette, fat or skinny, healthy or unhealthy, rich or poor.....

Both are traveling down the "treatment" road tonight.  One a little further down the road than the other but both wondering where the road will lead next. Both have questions.  Is the treatment working? How will I feel tomorrow? Will my counts be good tomorrow?  What "little" new or "BIG" new side effect is next?

Both have wonderful families, doctors, and support of many friends which is invaluable BUT they have JESUS as their Lord and Savior which leads back to my title...
                               
Hairless, Helpless, but NOT HOPELESS

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" (JER 29:11).


~Janis

1 comment:

  1. Oh Janis~
    I am in tears. Yes~ I know cancer. My grandmother had her right arm removed but she was amazing. She lived 40 years with one arm and did not die of cancer ~praise God. My uncle died from cancer not long ago.
    What an encouraging~heart felt post.

    Thank you for your sweet words~when I opened my mail today.

    I will be praying for your friends for sure.

    I am so thankful that my hope is to be absent in this body is to be present with my Lord.

    Thank you for sharing!

    Blessings to you today~
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete